It has been said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Food is essential to our existence. No matter who you are great food is a wonderful way to say, "Love."
The critical part to Food for Lovers is to make a meal that is not only from the heart and soul and beautifully plated but also helps promote goodness within. Certain foods say love more than others and there are many reasons why.
To better promote food & love, here is a little guide with a meal idea at the end.
Pineapple makes you and your partner taste good. Fresh cut pineapple that is counter ripened is delicious, juicy and sweet but also looks great on a plate. Beyond that, everything becomes better, their taste and yours. We use our senses to love more.
2. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes are known as the "beautification" food. Sweet potatoes are ugly as sin on the outside, but when they are cooked and prepared, they not only taste great but they help promote good skin, hair and eyes- hence the "beautification food." Who doesn't love good skin and hair?
There are many great ways to cook them.
The skin of the sweet potato is also good for you. Wash them very well. Cut them up into quarters (skin on), drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt on them. Roast them at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes on a baking sheet. About half way through pull them out, turn them over and drizzle maple syrup or brown sugar over them. YUM!
Tip: For color you can add a little rosemary or parsley sprig at the end, once plated.
3. Red cabbage
Red cabbage taste great raw or cooked. It is high in antioxidants so besides it helping to prevent cancer (which you don't want your lover to get) it also helps you and your lover age gracefully by fighting off wrinkles and giving your skin that healthy "in love" and "in happiness" glow. Read more about 30 beauty foods, click here.
Mangos are high in beta-carotene which the body then converts into vitamin A to keep skin and hair healthy and even helps to repair sun damaged skin cells. You many want to lather on mango oil when you are out in the sun or massaging your lover after dinner.
5. Mushrooms & Steak
Mushrooms and beef are both great sources of zinc which is essential for strong hair and nails. Mushrooms are very good for the heart and kills bacterias that make us sick.
The Food for Love meal using the above:
- Marinate the steak by puncturing it with a fork numerous times and adding a little garlic, salt, pepper, mustard and olive oil. Cut it into larger chunks and heat up that pan on high with a little oil or butter in it before placing the steak in it. Place the steak chunks in and reduce heat the medium.
Tip: Only turn your meet once. Be patient and don't overcook it
- Shred the red cabbage finely, add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and some black pepper, either lightly saute it for just a minute or place on the center of the plate.
- Saute mushrooms using a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and parsley (which is a great natural breath freshener).
Tip: Garlic is so good for you and it taste fabulous too, but it isn't one of those great aftertaste for lovers food. The mango and pineapple for dessert will help with garlic breath.
- Place steak and mushrooms on top of the red cabbage or to the side. The decoration and presentation of the food is critical in showing love. We also eat with our eyes and a beautiful plate shows love, attention and care.
- As noted above in sweet potatoes, remove the sweet potatoes and either place on top or to the side of the plate.
- Cut pineapple & mango into chunks and serve with the Food for Lovers meal or after for a great dessert.
Tip: Red wine or room temperature water go great with this meal and are good for you as well.
This meal happens to be free of 10 common allergens in the United States and it is full flavored. Substitute butter with earth balance soy free or olive oil for those with diary/soy allergy.
With over 220 million people worldwide suffering with food allergies, it's critical to know if someone you are cooking for is allergic to certain foods, so always ask, just in case, you may learn something more about your lover you didn't know before.