See also:

Food addiction - Dr. Oz and A&E's Heavy both tackle the topic today

A&E's Heavy premiers Jan 17, dealing with the long road to weight loss
A&E's Heavy premiers Jan 17, dealing with the long road to weight loss
A&E

Two tv shows airing today (January 17, 2011) both tackle the issue of food addiction, a condition that some experts are now saying is every bit as real as other addictions such as gambling, drugs and alcohol.

Dr. Oz (shown three times in San Jose at 9 am and 3 pm on FOX 2 and 9 pm on independent channel 36) gives readers the 5 warning signs of a food addict (the show also shows the Hula Hoop exercise plan and Dr. Oz uncovers the foods that help you snooze and present the aromatherapy scents that help boost your energy and fight stress.)

Then tonight, A&E premiers a new 11-week series called HEAVY (shown in San Jose at 10 pm). The producers of Heavy are very clear in their promotion that the show is

"not a competition or stunt, but is rooted in the incredible real life day-to-day journeys of the participants during a lengthy treatment program.... a never-before-seen look at the unique struggles faced by dangerously obese individuals who must learn to live healthier lifestyles and understand the root of their food addictions. Through their day-to-day struggle and the voices of their loved ones, viewers will see firsthand the pain and self-doubt associated with a debilitating weight problem"

Tonight's premiere episode features Tom and Jodi, both 37 from Houston, TX, One-high school football star Tom is now 638 pounds and suffers from a myriad of issues including sleep apnea, edema and the inability to sleep more than two hours. He is desperate to get his life back before he loses it permanently. Having recently suffered a stroke, Jodi, 5-foot-6 and 363 pounds, is at a critical juncture with her health.

It's difficult to imagine any overall fitness and health program that doesn't start with creating a healthy relationship with food, so both of these shows should be of interest to the fitness-minded. Leave a comment below if you've had experience with food addiction and if either or both of these shows helped put it into perspective for you.

Comments

• Profile picture of Virginia Kahler-Anderson
    Virginia Kahler-Anderson 3 years ago

I believe that food addiction is very real, Amy, it is no different than alcohol and drugs or gambling. Further spreading the news through your article is a very awesome thing you are doing here. I don't watch much TV, so I would not have known that these would be airing tonight. Now I know and will watch the show tonight, and tell others about it. Thank you! :)

San Jose Food Examiner
    San Jose Home Fitness Examiner

• Annette 3 years ago

I been living with a food addiction all my life. I wish someone can help me lose weight. I have tried many diets but I ended up been depressed. I really need some help can anyone help me? I have seen the show and I wish a trainer can help me out. Sign in need of some help.

• Profile picture of Amy Rabinovitz
    Amy Rabinovitz 3 years ago

Annette - be sure to check out Dr. Oz web site - there are helpful tips http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/are-you-food-addict

Also the 11 week program that is going on at the Dr. Oz includes being able to post questions to a trainer. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/move-it-and-lose-it-2011

I do believe that people can be addicted to food. It makes more sense to me than gambling. I have never been more than about 20 pounds over weight but I know that when I keep a food log it really makes a difference. You can log food on several great website communities online. After you begin and you may feel your stomach shrink a bit it is a lot easier to get motivated to move a bit, walk, exercise, just be less inactive. My heart really goes out to all the children out there who will never know a normal childhood because of weight and inactivity, we adults need to offer better guidance and direction. Good luck to you all in managing your addiction.

• snowwolf1 3 years ago

i am a 46 year old woman who use to be in great shape.I was in an auto accident and since then i have become depressed from being in pain,i use to rock climb hike,was very active. Now i have gained so much weight,not exactly sure of my weight posibly 250 lbs.,was laid off from my job and full of stess.i've a;ways loved my life,until now,i am an emotioal eater,my dr. is telling me i need to loose this weight,but hav'nt found any support or push to do so. I watch the show heavy and get very emotioal and cry,i am happy for them that they had the opportunity to get help,thats what i am searching for. i have some mental issues that i hav'nt delt with yet,i think thats another problem why i eat too. i would love to find someone who can help me get where i need to be,it's gods love power that keeps me going. thank you for listening,god bless.

• Profile picture of Amy Rabinovitz
    Amy Rabinovitz 3 years ago

Snow - good for you to be ready to find the help you need! It sounds like you are ready to call and make an appointment with a doctor, a consultation on how to approach all the issues.

If you can't afford a doctor, perhaps your church has a good counselor who can help you get a start on what the best "steps" are for you and can help you find an appropriate support system.

Or, you might even try a community health line (Here in Silicon Valley and throughout the country there are 2-1-1 lines that will connect people with community resources). Best of luck!