Eggnog, sugar cookies with holiday frosting and pecan candy: Holiday goodies can derail even the most diligent dieter. If your dreams of sugarplums have turned to nightmares of sugar shock, Dr. Mehmet Oz has the solution: His ultimate holiday diet detox, which he unveiled on his December 9 talk show.
Dr. Oz has designed his two-day detox to achieve two goals: Flush toxins and recharge your metabolism. It's not too late to get your body in great shape before that next holiday party.
Follow these tips for two days:
- Fat-flushing water removes sodium from your body while filling you up, not out. The recipe includes 3 cups of melon, 1 cup of coconut water and 2 cups of water. Blend thoroughly and sip five glasses a day for two days. The coconut water's potassium will reduce bloat.
- Many dieters make the mistake of skipping breakfast, thinking that gives them more freedom to eat more later in the day. Wrong, says Dr. Oz. He's created an oatmeal recipe that acts as a diuretic, removing toxins from your body and enhancing your digestion. The fiber will keep you full, helping you to cut down on your overall calorie total for the day. To make, just add a small amount of peanut butter to your oatmeal (avoid sugary instant oatmeal).
- Join the lunch bunch with a weight loss liquid that banishes fat: Lentil soup. This soup provides you with filling fiber and extra hydration to flush the fat faster. No time to cook up your own? Seek a brand with reduced sodium, such as Amy's Light in Sodium Organic Lentil Soup (click for details).
- It's dinner time, and protein power is on the menu. Combine purple cabbage, chicken breast, pumpkin seeds, an orange and olive oil for a slimming salad.
- Here's a tea tip you'll love: Chocolate tea. It satisfies your sweet tooth without calories. Use for snacks and for dessert. Find it in your local health food store or buy online, such as Numi Organic Tea Chocolate Puerh (click for details). Puerh eases your digestion and helps you shed pounds.