He might be undefeated in the ring, but Floyd Mayweather Jr. is seriously losing the fight outside of the ring. Undefeated Mexican sensation Saul "Canelo" Alvarez continues to publicly attack Mayweather Jr. for Floyd's apparent "ducking". Last week, Alvarez first broke the news that Floyd backed out of a verbal agreement to sign a contract to fight him. This week Alvarez continues the public pressure. According to a March 5th report by BoxingScene.com, Alvarez made the following comments:
" I said this beforehand, that if Mayweather did not sign [the contract] I would not be fighting on his event. He said he would sign and then it dragged on and later on he refused, and that's why we moved to a new date. I do not need him and I proved it."
Canelo (41-0-1) moved his fight against Austin Trout to April 20th in San Antonio. It's a fight that's generating a lot of buzz with fight fans. This fight would have definitely added to the overall success of Mayweather's PPV bout on May 4th vs. Robert Guerrero. Unfortunately, Floyd once again "ducked" a fighter that he should fight.
This shouldn't surprise anyone because Floyd has a history of this behavior. However, in this case, Floyd actually verbally agreed to fight Alvarez (if they both won their next fights). This was also confirmed by Golden Boy Promotions.
Last week, 50 Cent publicly declared that his former business partner and friend Mayweather Jr. ducked Manny Pacquiao due to purse demands. Yet, Alvarez is one name that could actually get Floyd the PPV money he wants and the PPV shares.
And when Floyd isn't invovled in some sort of "ducking" scandal, he's getting into trouble in other ways. On Monday, a report came out that Floyd was harassing another fighter's wife during the fight. For more on this story, click here.