A Florida sinkhole recovery effort ends after two and a half days. A 36-year-old man named Jeff Bush is presumed dead after falling into a sinkhole that opened up beneath his home in Tampa, Florida on Thursday night. On March 3, the Chicago Tribune reported that rescuers have called off their search for the man.
As previously reported, Bush was in his bedroom when a sinkhole opened and he fell in. There were five other people in the house at the time, including his brother, but none of them were injured. The house will be demolished according to authorities. Family members were given about 20 minutes to go inside the home and collect some of their belongings.
News that the Florida sinkhole recovery effort ends is sad for many people to learn. This was an unfortunate event that claimed the life of a young man. His brother, Jeremy, felt as though he was dead but he still had a bit of hope... said hope is now gone. He is thankful, however, that the rest of his family is safe.
"Our data has come back, and there is absolutely no way we can do any kind of recovery without endangering lives of workers," said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Jessica Dam (via the Chicago Tribune).
As the Florida sinkhole recovery effort ends, people continue to leave balloons, candles, and flowers outside of the Bush's home.
© Effie Orfanides 2013