When Ron Neilson, 50, decided to decorate for Halloween with wood, gasoline and candles, he was only trying to bring holiday cheer to the neighborhood, but things quickly went bad. According to a Channel 6 South Florida NEWS report on October 16, when Neilson bumped one of the candles the whole display went up in flames setting fire to the man.
Neilson reportedly rolled around on the ground to extinguish the fire from his upper torso while his wife hosed him down with garden hose. The Palm Bay Fire Department was able to fully distinguish the fire before the man was airlifted to the hospital.
Neilson suffered burns to 40 to 50 percent of his body, says the Palm Bay Police. The incident was ruled an accident.
Although Halloween is traditionally considered a holiday wrought with accidents and mishaps, most of them occur while children are on the streets trick-or-treating. Always observe caution with Halloween decor, particularly those that involve candles and open flames.