In Belleview, Fla., John Hoogerhyde mourns the senseless death of his 17-year-old rescue horse, Jolean just a week ago. Jolean died as a result of some cruel culprit injecting the horse in the shoulder with gasoline reported ClickOrlando.com.
On Hoogerhyde's small farm in Southeast 55th Ave., the Paso Fino had been a favorite. The beautiful horse had been rescued 18-months previously from a life of mistreatment and starvation. As horses are prey animals and would rather runaway than fight, it took months before Hoogerhyde could even get close to Jolean, but with a lot of patience and kindness, the horse had come around.
Last week, however everything changed when Jolean didn't seem to be feeling well. The horse had a few tiny drops of blood on her shoulder which Hoogerhyde thought must have been an insect sting. Two days later the horse became bloated and was unable to stand. Jolean had to be humanely euthanized.
A necropsy revealed the horse had been injected with gasoline.
A neighbor, Leah Greenleaf is also dealing with the same animal cruelty crime. Her horse was also injected with gasoline and has undergone several surgeries to remove the damaged tissue. Her prognosis is still guarded.
Neighbors are so worried about their horses and have now installed surveillance cameras. Neither horse owner has any clues who might have wanted to hurt their horses.
For John Hoogerhyde, he has moved his two other horses to an undisclosed location while the Marion County Sheriff's Department investigates. If anyone has any information about the tragic death of this horse, please call CrimeStoppers at (352)-368-STOP.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org.