In Lake Wales, Fla. two American bulldogs are fighting for their lives after they were bitten by a six foot two inch long rattlesnake in the front yard of their home on Thursday reported myfoxtampabay.com.
As Candy Sappington was leaving her home, her American bulldog, Maizy protected her:
"As I stepped down the first step, she came from behind me and kind of pushed me forward," Sappington stated.
The diamondback rattlesnake then bit Maizy on the ear.
Sappington's 16-year-old son shot the snake with a .22 caliber rifle.
Maizy's pups, Tundra and Chubbs, were also bitten. Sadly Chubbs died as a result of the bite, because he did not receive the antivenin in time. The family was lucky enough to locate Veterinary Health Care Associates in Winterhaven, according to wftv.com, where the veterinary hospital had the rare antivenin in stock. Because of the cost at approximately $700 per vial, most veterinary practices do not carry the life saving antidote for rattlesnake bites.
On Friday, the Facebook page of Veterinary Health Care Associates posted an update of their status:
"Today shows a little improvement. The two brave pups are eating and drinking well and have more energy. The swelling is slowly starting to come down. They are pictured here in our Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber about to undergo another therapy session."
A YouCare site has been established for anyone who would like to donate and help Maizy and Tundra's expensive veterinary bills. Please click here for the donation site, or you can call the hospital direct at 863-324-3340.
Get well little ones.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org.