Skip to main content

See also:

Flavor Flav pleads guilty in Las Vegas case, says it won’t affect NY charges

Flavor Flav appears in court in Las Vegas
Flavor Flav appears in court in Las VegasPhoto by David Becker/Getty Images

With a felony case hanging over his head in New York, rapper Flavor Flav pleaded guilty Monday to reduced charges in Las Vegas in a domestic violence case involving his girlfriend’s teenage son, the Associated Press reported Monday.

The 55-year-old, whose real name is William Jonathan Drayton, Jr., told a judge Monday that he was wielding a kitchen knife during an argument with the teen in October 2012 at their home in Las Vegas, before pleading guilty to reduced misdemeanor charges of attempted battery that could have caused substantial injury and battery constituting domestic violence. Drayton was sentenced Monday to probation and ordered to undergo four months of domestic violence counseling. He will be back in court in August for a follow-up appearance.

Outside the courtroom, Drayton told reporters he didn’t expect the new conviction to affect his pending felony case in New York. He currently faces unlicensed driving and marijuana possession charges in Nassau County after being stopped in January along the Southern State Parkway in Uniondale while allegedly speeding on the way to his mother’s funeral. When he was pulled over, cops said he was traveling more than 20 mph over the limit and a trooper found his license had been revoked. They also said he was in possession of three grams of marijuana, according to court documents.

Drayton had been issued a desk appearance ticket and released from a police station. He was later released without bail and has since appeared in court a few times for the case. During a court appearance last month, his lawyer, Indji Bessim, said she was “still conferencing the matter” with prosecutors, but declined to comment further. Drayton said he was confident the criminal charges will be resolved, referring to the case as “Operation No Choice.” A spokesman for the Nassau County district attorney’s office had no comment Monday when asked if the Las Vegas conviction would affect the New York case.

Drayton will be back in a Long Island court on May 16.