Exercise is important for health, longevity and quality of life but if you can’t find an activity that suits your personality and lifestyle you’re bound to disappoint yourself by not reaching your fitness goals. Remembering to make fitness fun can help you stay motivated and get the results you want. While running marathons or mountain biking may not be your cup of tea, a spinning or swim aerobics class may be just the ticket to keep you moving long term. Follow these five easy steps to make fitness fun for a lifetime!
1. Choose the right fit for you. This step definitely deserves repeating. Exercise is a personal experience whether picking a solo sport like cycling or a group exercise class like Yoga. Your activity should reflect your personality and fit your busy lifestyle. In other words, don’t sign up for that 5K if you can’t commit to the training program needed to run it.
2. Make it a family affair. Many people do better when exercising with friends or family. Not only is it a great way to get in shape with the people you care about, it can also be a great motivator to have a friend or family member to be held accountable to when you want to hit the snooze button instead of getting up for your morning walk.
3. Find Incentives. There’s nothing like a new outfit or a lunch date to help keep that bit of zing in your morning Zumba class. Looking forward to an outing or new hairdo can definitely make your work out more enjoyable but don’t forget to eat healthy!
4. Change it up. Boredom is a terrible culprit to motivation. Once you find yourself just going through the motions you’ll know it’s time to change your workout. A change of scenery may do the trick or you might need to choose an entirely new activity. This also helps your body steer clear of plateaus.
5. Don’t take yourself too seriously. So what if the aerobics class is moving in one direction while you're moving in the other. The first rule of thumb for fun is the ability to laugh; even if it’s at yourself. A sense of humor helps you relax and learn more effectively.
Exercise is the key to a long, healthy and happy life but, it doesn’t have to be all work and no play. Having fun with your workout routine can reduce stress and help you succeed in whatever your fitness goal.