Even the largest online job website or training program can’t guarantee that you will find a job immediately. Unfortunately, there isn’t a magic pill or secret formula or special algorithm to get candidates a job quickly. Focus and strategic planning can give Phoenicians a competitive edge and increase your odds to find a job faster than the average job seeker.
- The most important step to find a job fast is to establish a plan. This should include time specifically carved out to search online for postings. Create lists for what research you need to do on the industry or companies you want to apply to and identify the steps you need to take to be ready immediately for an interview.
- Start working through different areas of your plan on a regular basis, whether it’s daily or a few times a week. To be immediately ready for an interview, you will need a current resume, appropriate suit or clothing for the interview, and answers to questions that you expect to be asked.
- Make your online presence best represent you. If you use Facebook® or LinkedIn®, create a professional image that has content an employer will want to see. Reach out to former managers and co-workers, teachers and current friends and establish a network in LinkedIn® that could provide you access to prospective employers.
- Practice, practice, practice. Everything about the job search process requires practice to be successful at it. The fourth step to increase your chances to get a job quickly is practicing phone follow up, phone interviews, and face-to-face interviews with a trusted friend. Ask them to be critical of your tone, word choices, and thoroughness of your answers.
- Create consistent, concise, and compelling follow up with everyone involved in the interview process. This includes people you meet with at networking events, career fairs, and in person meetings, as well as the interviewers. Follow up emails and phone calls can put you ahead of the competition by showing your professional commitment in wanting to work at their company.
November 7th there is another great opportunity to put these tips into practice at the Goodwill of Central Arizona Career and Opportunity Fair: