December 30, 2013
As we head closer to the new year, many people will make New Year's resolutions. If one of your New Year's resolutions is to find a new job or even change careers, start now to become closer to landing your dream job. Here are some tips to help you.
- Identify your career goals. Whether you want to work in a new field or for a top company, you should definitely identify your career goals. Take time to think about your skills and how you can apply them to different professions. If you love cooking, consider become a caterer or chef. If you love helping others, consider working in education or in the health field. Find out the areas that you can see yourself working on a daily basis.
- Expand your network. Many people hear about positions through people they know. So, tell everyone that you know about your plans to pursue a new career or look for a better paying job. Even if they don't have a lead for you right now, they may let you know about open positions in the future.
- Target companies that interest you. If you want to work at a leading tech firm, you can find out about job openings through their site. In fact, most companies provide you with email alerts to inform you about positions in your location and field.
- Create an online profile. You may have a Facebook or instagram profile. However, business social media outlets such as, LinkedIn can help you land your next position. Through LinkedIn, you can follow professionals and companies relating to your field. This site also makes it easy for you to have an online profile including your resume, professional skills and references.
- Stay positive. Job hunting can be challenging and frustrating--all at the same time. When you are not chosen for a job, don't give up. Continue to stay positive and focused on your career goals. Since you are taking the steps to reach your career goals, you will eventually land the job of your dreams.