If you haven't already, it's time to get that flu vaccine! According to the CDC as of January 5, 2013, 24 states have experienced outbreaks of influenza at a high level, which is spreading like wildfire. There are simple things you can do, in addition to getting the vaccine, to prevent the flu. If you are feeling symptoms of the flu, please see your physician or local urgent care immediately, and also be sure to stay out of contact with others as much as possible. In the mean time, here are Five Familiar ways to Forgo the Flu:
1. Fill up with Fruits and veggies: a healthy diet is important in support of a functioning immune system.
2. Fingers are the enemy: try to avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth to help infecting yourself with the flu. Germs are easily spread through these access points.
3. Frequently wash your hands: washing your hands will help prevent the spread of germs. Washing your hands properly, includes scrubbing aggressively for at least 30 seconds and rinsing with tolerable hot water. But be sure to place a paper towel over the knob before you turn off the water so that you will not get germs that are already there. These are the best ways to stay in good health and fight off illnesses, like the flu.
4. Feet up & fever down: rest is just as important as exercise. If you feel flu like symptoms, take the next day or two off. It could help you from becoming ill. If you are already sick, it is most important to rest! Let your body handle the sickness and fight the illness and stay in good health.
5. Fluids: in good health or bad, it is important to stay hydrated. However, when infected with the flu, as hard as it can be, its pertinent to your health to drink fluids. Having fevers makes your body extremely dehydrated making it hard for your body fight illness.