Keep these five tips in mind when you craft your next company policy:
- Keep the policy short and simple.
- Get rid of two old policies for every new policy you implement.
- Make sure that your organization's policy and procedures are written to serve your employees and customers--not just your organization.
- Don't write a policy in reaction to a single incident. The problem may never arise again.
- Don't write a policy longer than one-page, no matter how large your organization may be.
Be sure to have policies that guide your company's hiring practices and ensure everyone involved in the interviewing and hiring process are familiar with those policies.
Information about Brian Stann, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hire Hereos USA, featured in this article's video.
- Stann played middle linebacker for the US Naval Academy and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics in 2003. Following his commissioning as a Second Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps, he served as an Infantry Officer in Mobile Assault Platoon and Company Executive Officer billets during two deployments with 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM.
- He was awarded the Silver Star, the nation’s third highest award for valor, for his actions near the Al-Romana Bridge during Operation MATADOR in May 2005.
- From 2007 to 2008 Stann assumed duties as Commanding Officer, 8th Marine Regiment Headquarters Company in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. He left the Marine Corps as a Captain in 2008 and moved to Georgia to assume positions at MedAssets and Hire Heroes USA.