Exercise is a key to staying healthy -- It's also one of the best ways to care for the muscle between your ears -- your brain! Top scientists studying the brain report that just like you exercise your body; you can exercise your brain in much the same way. So as you continue to eat healthy and hit the gym on a regular basis --- don't forget to exercise and feed your brain to keep it in tip-top condition. Below are five things you might try:
1. Munch on almonds and blueberries and lose the candy bar and extra sugar. Healthy snacks lower blood sugar, and can improve cognition. The omega-3s in the almonds and the antioxidants in the blueberries can keep your brain functioning correctly.
2. Dance Connection. Learning hot new Salsa moves activates brain motor centers that form new neural connections. Dancing can also calm the brain's stress response.
3. Love savory crunchies on your salad? Try walnuts instead. Omega-3s in walnuts can help improve mood and calm inflammation that may lead to brain-cell death. They also replace lost melatonin, necessary for healthy brain functioning.
4. Take your brain for walk. Walking for just 20 minutes a day can lower blood sugar levels. That helps stoke blood flow to the brain, so you think more clearly.
5. Sleep. When your body is asleep your brain is still getting a workout consolidating memories and sorting through the day. Poor sleep, caused by medical conditions, worry, depression, or insomnia, can interfere with your rest. So treat yourself to relaxing scents like vanilla before bed. They raise the chemical dopamine and reduce cortisol, a stress hormone.
Be good to your body --- Be good your brain!