It’s a new year and that provides employees new opportunities to make a career transition into a new department, job in your current area, or job in a new company. If you want to make a move in your existing company, there are five things you can plan to do and start doing now to position yourself for that next role.
- Be valuable. Think about the last thing you did with your current job to create additional value to the department or your boss.
- Help others. Are you spending time with new employees, people coordinating projects, and your direct manager to assist them with their jobs?
- Find a way to improve your efficiency. Go beyond organizing your files or cleaning your desk. Evaluate how you can increase your time management.
- Share ideas. Team players will always be put ahead of the lone rangers in moving ahead. Getting your best ideas together and talking about them will make everyone better at their job.
- Learn something new. Show your current manager that you are prepared to continuously make yourself more informed or talented in an area.
Don’t wait until that next great job opportunity comes along. Be prepared to share how you have planned and executed strategies to add value and ultimately make the organization appreciate your extra efforts.