Got spice? If your kitchen cupboard contains only salt and pepper, you're missing out on a tasty way to lose weight, battle aging, control your blood sugar and enhance your general health. Get the dish on how to spice up your life with five fabulous seasonings:
- Cinnamon: WebMD reports that cinnamon can help with weight loss and diabetes by stabilizing your blood sugar levels. The result: Reduction of appetite! Try adding a dash into your morning coffee or sprinkle cinnamon and Equal on grapefruit or unsweetened applesauce for a tasty dessert.
- Cloves: One study found that using cloves in your food can counter the negative impact of foods high in fat, according to FitSugar. How to use: Try adding a dash of cloves to spice up vanilla pudding or plain yogurt.
- Cayenne pepper: Boost your metabolism with cayenne pepper. Try sprinkling on a salad or chicken or even a turkey sandwich.
- Ginger: Feeling nauseated? Try a dash of ginger mixed with plain yogurt and Splenda or drink ginger tea. A dash of ginger also can add flavor to your food without adding calories.
- Turmeric: From reducing your risk of dementia to helping with weight loss to reducing cholesterol, turmeric or curcumin can benefit your health in multiple ways, according to a wide range of studies. How to use: Make curry or add to soup.