Bought your Halloween candy yet? We hope not, because we've discovered spooky ingredients that can turn those treats into mean tricks! Metro News warns that you should steer clear of candies and products that contain the following:
- Trans fat: "Even a small amount of partially hydrogenated oil is linked to heart disease,” said Vani Hari, a food activist. “It hits the arteries hard.”
- Food coloring: Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Blue 2 and Red 40 are often listed in products: The Center for Science in the Public Interest released a study linking these additives to hyperactivity, cancer and allergies.
- High fructose corn syrup: Some studies have linked this form of sugar to addiction.
- Vanillin: Vanillin is made from wood pulp.
- Natural flavorings: This term is meaningless, and can include "natural" chemicals!
What to get? Consider these tasty treats (no tricks!):