It is a well known fact that cats are exceedingly amazing animals and throughout history felines have been known to skillfully adapt to change and survive some of the most deplorable conditions. Why is this so? According to the conclusion of an impressive genetic study in 2007, it was determined that domestic cats are actual descendents of the African wildcat, 8000 BC in the Middle East. The African wildcat, also known as the Near Eastern Wildcat, or African Desert cat is a beautiful, intelligent and highly adapted hunter who deviated from other wildcat subspecies over 130,000 years ago and still going strong today. With amazing ancestors like that, it is no wonder domestic cats are extraordinary animals with remarkable survival skills coupled with the special ability to provide love and great companionship. So what exactly makes cats amazing? Even there are hundreds of reasons why cats are truly amazing this article will focus on the five key reasons.
- Cats improve our overall health. It has been scientifically proven that having a cat in your life improves your overall health because they can help reduce the symptoms associated with loneliness, depression, anxiety and heart disease. In many cases depression is linked to low serotonin levels in the brain, but in many studies it has been proven that being around cats can actually elevate serotonin levels.
- Provide companionship. Especially for those who live alone, cats provide faithful companionship and endless unconditional love that can significantly increase our self esteem and mental health. Also taking care of animals gives us a sense of feeling, needed and wanted.
- Alzheimer's patients. "Studies have shown that Alzheimer's patients have fewer anxious outbursts if there is an animal in the home," says Lynette Hart, PhD, associate professor at the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Cats can immediately sense danger. Just like all other animals, cats are so highly intelligent that they can immediately sense danger due to their advanced sensory perception, most notably their hearing which allows them to detect higher frequencies than dogs and humans. For more detailed information about the advanced hearing of a cat please visit vet info.com.
- Very funny and entertaining. Not only are cats adorably cute, they are also very entertaining and have the special ability to make us laugh regardless of how sad we are feeling. Cats also have lots of energy and love running full speed from one end of the house to the other for no apparent reason. Perhaps it is to make us laugh which they succeed in doing very well!
As you just read, cats are extraordinary animals with many amazing qualities and if you are considering adding a feline to your family, please consider adopting from your local animal shelter. As you may already know, animal shelters have lots of adult cats and kittens who are looking for their forever homes, and these adorable animals have already been neutered or spayed in addition to being vaccinated. If you live in Chicago, to name a few, the Tree House Humane Society, Anti-Cruelty Society and the Animal Welfare League have lots of sweet loving cats waiting to be adopted, so if you have a little time, why not stop by and meet your new lifelong furry feline.