Although many Italian cities are known for their charm, culture and mouthwatering cuisine, Venice is the place to be for a romantic getaway. Honeymooners can enjoy romantic sunset strolls, private gondola rides and leisurely meals in this mecca of romance. Here are five reasons to consider a Venice honeymoon:
1. Rialto Bridge - Whether snapping a romantic photo at the bridge near sunset, enjoying the shops and markets on either side of it of or people-watching from a nearby café, couples won't want to miss the romance offered at Rialto Bridge.
2. Bridge of Sighs - For the couple who doesn't quite get their fill of romance at Rialto, the Bridge of Sighs is sure to fit the bill. Architecturally beautiful and connected to the equally gorgeous Doge's Palace, Venetian lore promises that two lovers who kiss on a gondola under this the Bridge of Sighs will enjoy eternal bliss.
3. St. Mark's Square - Be prepared for crowds as this Venetian tourist mecca that fuses past and present, but it's a must-see for Venice travelers. Even with the crowds, newlyweds can get lost in the moment admiring the fantastic architecture, listening to live music, feeding the pigeons or sipping wine at one of the many cafés. Stay into the evening and enjoy a romantic dinner at fancy Ristorante la Caravella or Ristorante Quadri, one of Venice's oldest restaurants.
4. Teatro La Fanice - For an upscale dose of Italian culture, couples can take in a show at one of Italy's oldest opera houses. If opera or ballet seem too stuffy, visit for a walking tour of this magnificent building instead. Visitors are even invited to enjoy an evening cocktail tour.
5. Gondola Rides - Cliché as they may be, gondola rides are popular among Venice travelers for a reason. Usually lasting about 40 minutes, these romantic rides through the canals are a great way to see the sites from the comfort of your sweetheart's arms. For a quieter ride, opt for a gondola traversing the many back canals, rather than the busy Grand Canal.