While it’s imperative to remember that exercise is just as important as eating well, all workouts are not created equal. Circuit training describes a routine in which the participant moves through a series of different exercise in an allotted amount of time working each major muscle groups simultaneously. Choosing and exercise plan suited to your fitness goal is key, and here are five reasons circuit training could be the right for you.
1. It saves time. Traditionally, a full body workout could take over an hour to complete, requiring multiple sets for each major muscle group, but with circuit training you can rest one muscle group while working out another, cutting your total workout time in half.
2. Doubles as cardio. It’s no secret that weight training burns calories but, if you use light to moderate weight and pick up the pace you can increase your heart rate and burn even more calories. Add a step routine or jump rope for a minute or two between sets to further develop your heart and speed up weight loss.
3. Amps up the hormones. When your heart rate experiences a high period followed by a lower period during a rest it tells your body to produce a surge of hormones that helps speed up your metabolism which not only helps you lose the weight but it also helps you feel great doing it.
4. Great for all levels. A circuit workout can vary in intensity related to individual fitness level making it appropriate for everyone from beginner to seasoned professional.
5. Just as effective as longer sessions. Studies show that whether you’re doing a long drawn out weight training program or opting for a circuit routine, you can effectively tone and train your muscles and your heart helping you to lose weight and get fit.
While the super speedy circuit training method does not replace endurance workouts for cardiovascular training it can be a faster more efficient way to weight train and condition the heart.