Dressing for New York in the winter is a fairly easy task, if your goal is to stay warm and look good while doing so.
Many people mistakenly assume that cold weather equals puffy down jackets and the ubiquitous Uggs. That’s actually not the case at all, at least in the cases where snow isn’t present. When the temperature hits 32 degrees and below, that doesn’t mean it’s time to hibernate your fashion favorites. Instead, take advantage of the below freezing temperatures to express your fashion through cold weather favorites, such as Fair Isle prints, cozy cable knit sweaters, rugged flat boots and more.
Here are five fashion essentials to help you brave the New York weather this winter, in style. Bonus: items featured can be worn separately or together for an ultimate street chic outfit.
1. BB Dakota Keji Blanket Coat – Available at Urban Outfitters, this piece does double duty, keeping its promise to keep you warm, while ensuring you’ll be step into the spotlight in each hotpot you enter. The best part about purchasing a jacket this late in the season? Sales. Originally priced at $159, this coat is available now for $39.
2. Dolce Vita dv Marce Ankle Boot – From lazy Saturday strolls through the streets to weekday morning power walks to work, black flat boots are a must for cruising in comfort in New York. This pair offers solid structure, quality craftsmanship and a great base when pairing with patterned tights or skinny jeans. Available at the Dolce Vita boutique at 255 Elizabeth Street, on sale for $90.
3. J BRAND 620 Super Skinny Jeans, black – Choose the power stretch denim to really get a bang for your buck. Easily worn to work, weekend brunch and out for an evening on the town, these are perhaps the most versatile pair of pants on the market. Available at Bloomingdales with a price tag of $205.
4. H&M Sweater – Nothing beats the real deal when it comes to cashmere, which is why this sweater is perfect as it’s not trying to be something it isn’t. Your standard cable knit look in a variety of colors (the gray nails it though), this option available at any one of New York's H&M locations is one amongst plenty available at the store. Priced at $24.95, the continuous wear makes it quite the steal.
5. Yigal Azrouel Flecked Scarf – A wrap around, yummy scarf is a must have when facing the gusts of New York’s cold winter air. Fabric is the most important element of finding your perfect winter scarf. If you don’t want to keep it on while indoors, put it down. This option provides comfort, style and warmth all winter long, for a price of $190. Available at Blue & Cream in Bowery, 1 East 1st Street.