Marvel Studios and Apple Trailers have released the official theatrical trailer for Iron Man 2. The sequel to the 2008 blockbuster should bring in more box office receipts in its second bout seeing that it doesn't have to endure a mid-summer overcast from The Dark Knight (the 2008 superhero movie that walked away the champ) again. Two-time Oscar nominee Robert Downey Jr. is back in the title role and this trailer provides us 5 new things we now can confirm for this highly anticipated sequel:
1. Yes, Garry Shandling really is in this movie...
2. Iron Man himself (like the Joker in The Dark Knight) does a riff on the "You complete me" line from Jerry Maguire.
3. It looks like Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler) brings the much needed bad ass element for the series. Though what is with that hokey accent of his? And couldn't the arbitrary shot of Rourke wearing goggles and hammering away at hot metal been avoided?
4. Judging from the "Stark Expo" and the ho-hum military courtroom scene in the trailer, we can brace ourselves for the first hour to re-gloss over product placement and character relationships already established in Iron Man.
5. Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell and Samuel L. Jackson manage to squeeze in a combined handful of seconds in the trailer. This isn't a bad thing. Let's hope this tease hints at a much desired widening of the Iron Man universe. The best is yet to come?
I smell summer movie season just around the corner.
Follow Nelson on Twitter!