1. A peacoat. A wool-blend will be warmest and go for one that still shows off a waistline like this double-breasted one from Ellen Tracy.
2. A belted trench. It's perfect for those unpredictable warmer winter days, or with a removable liner can be used throughout the season. The Calvin Klein khaki trench is a classic.
3. A puffer. These are fun for those snow days or when hitting the slopes. Keep the silhouette slim, for a polished look, like the hooded puffer from James Lakeland.
4. A print. While it's nice to choose coats in neutral colors and classic styles, it's also fun to have one statement coat. Go bold with a chevron print, tie-waist coat.
5. A fur. For the splurge, go real. A caplette or stole can always suffice when a full length fur is out of the question. Love this chic, blush colored rabbit fur.