Most are aware that erectile dysfunction drugs such as Viagra, Levitra, and Cialis can spark up your love life. However, the medications have side-effects such as headaches and they are expensive. I consulted with Dr. Muhammad A. Mirza, a board-certified internist who specializes in treating problems with sexual function. He noted that, in his clinical experience, healthy lifestyle choices regarding diet and exercise can have an effectiveness of 80% of what can be attained with erectile dysfunction drugs. The advantage of these foods is that they are free of side-effects and their cost is negligible because healthy foods are no more expensive—and may be cheaper—than junk foods. Dr. Mirza notes that these foods can benefit women as well as men because they can boost libido.
Five food recommendations from Dr. Mirza:
- Eggs: Just another reason to make breakfast in bed for your special someone. Eggs are high in vitamins B6 and B5, which help balance out hormone levels and fight stress, two things that are imperitive to a healthy libido. For a quick fix, eat raw chicken eggs just prior to having sex. It will both increase your libido and increase your energy level. The only drawback of eggs is that they are high in cholesterol.
- Garlic: Gross garlic breath is actually a good thing. Garlic contains a compound called allicin which increases blood flow to the sexual organs thus heightening the libido. If you really can’t stand garlic, try taking garlic capsules instead.
- Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries: Not only are these delicious when dipped in chocolate, but they are also loaded with vitamins C and E, which put your sex drive into gear. These fruits also have an added benefit of leaving your skin supple and sensitive.
- Celery: Definitely not the most romantic vegetable, but celery can be a fantastic source food for sexual stimulation. Celery contains the hormone androsterone, which when eaten is released through male perspiration and turns women on. In addition, male hormones can boost the sex drive in both men and women.
- Whole grains: Whole grains have been shown to increase testosterone levels, which ultimately boosts sex drive. So, what better reason do you need to listen to your doctor about eating more whole grains?
Dietary changes can also assist with erectile dysfunction. Men who eat a large amount of junk foods, harmful fats, and carbohydrates are very likely to suffer from sluggishness and erectile issues. Replacing these items with raw fruits, vegetables, and food high in B vitamins may work wonders in increasing energy and virility.
Increased exercise is another natural method that may assist a man with achieving and maintaining an erection. Cardiovascular activity not only increases the blood flow, but it also changes the levels of endorphins in the body. Once a person engages in cardiovascular activities for a period of 10-20 minutes, positive feelings and extra energy emerge. These feelings can last as long as 60 minutes, which is enough time for a man to take a shower and try to engage in sexual activities.
Ginkgo is an herb that manufacturers use to make certain medications. Experts have concluded that ginkgo causes arousal in both men and women by increasing their overall blood flow. A person who wishes to try the effects of ginkgo can find it in supplements at the local drug store. However, one should not use ginkgo if he has a condition that requires him to take blood thinners. This could cause an adverse reaction.
Ginseng is one of the leading remedies for erectile dysfunction. The best type of Ginseng to take for this condition is Korean red ginseng. Specialists performed a study in 2002 of 45 men who were taking ginseng to offset ED. The results of the study concluded that a majority of the men experienced better penile tip rigidity after beginning treatment. Specialists are not quite sure how the ginseng works, though they gather that it has something to do with nitric oxide synthesis.
Dr. Mizra takes a holistic approach to treating sexual problems as can be discerned from the above recommendations. He notes that, in addition to improving your sex life, these dietary and lifestyle choices can improve your overall health. For further information, click on this link.