First impressions do count. You probably try to show off to your date with your most fashionable yet casual clothes, your Omega watch, Prada shoes or diamond earrings. But there are many common sense ways to impress your date with your appearance that don’t involve your bling. Sometimes simple (usually free) actions like trimming your nails and being fresh shaven make more of an impact, even if it is a subconscious one. Here are five quick fixes before you go on that first date (no matter what style you wear).
- 1. Trim your eyebrows. The grumpy old men look is never sexy. If you’re a woman hold a pencil at an angle from your nostril towards the end of your eye, this will give you a good place the trim from. Guys should cut out any nose and ear hair too.
- Trim your fingernails. They don’t need to be well manicured, but bitten down cracked nubs give a bad impression. So does dirt under the white of the nails.
- Drink a glass of water right before your date. Your skin won’t look younger unless you were dehydrated—but the caveat is that something like 75% of Americans are dehydrated. So play the odds in your favor.
- To get rid of a tired look brush some highlighter under the end of your eyebrows and where your eyelid closes in on your nose. This will give your face a more youthful appearance. Guys should make sure they are shaved and trimmed in whatever style they like—its best not to look sloppy.
- Whiten your teeth. Or just simply brush them. If you don’t have any tooth whitener check under your bathroom sink for hydrogen peroxide—you can use a capful of this and spit it out after a few minutes to brighten your smile a few shades.
Most of these tips are common sense but sometimes they are overlooked anyway—and all of them operate on a subconscious level. Your date won’t know you trimmed your nose hair, whitened your teeth a few shades, or drank water beforehand. But your appearance will filter into their mind in subconscious ways, leading him or her to think of you as more successful or youthful than they would have otherwise. It’s the best insurance you have besides good conversation--the rest of the night is up to you!