October 31, 2013
Few universities in Southern California offer doctoral degrees in the arts. Most of the schools are in the UC system. However, USC has an art history Ph.D. program. Here is a list of 5 universities in Southern California offering these programs.
- UC Irvine offers a doctoral program in drama and theatre jointly with UCSD. According to the UCI website, the program is the only one of its kind in the U.S.
- UC Riverside will offer a doctoral degree in art history beginning in the fall of 2014. The program will focus on the history of photography, sculpture and architecture.
- UC Santa Barbara has a Ph.D. program in film and media studies, media arts and technology, music, and theater studies.
- UC San Diego has a doctoral program in art history and art practice.
- USC offers a Ph.D. degree in media arts and practice. The School of Cinematic Arts has a unique doctoral program that explores the fields of cinematic arts. According to the USC website the program offers "a rigorous and creative environment for scholarly innovation as students explore the expanded field of the cinematic arts, with attention to design, media art, emerging technologies and critical thinking."