You can spend exorbitant amounts of money on weight loss supplements that claim to detoxify your body and whittle your waistline. But when it comes to safe, effective, inexpensive methods to achieve those same goals, consider adding the foods and beverages described here to your diet. You'll enhance your health while cleansing your body and losing weight:
- Asparagus: Nature's diuretic is low in calories, high in fiber and cleanses your body naturally. Steam and enjoy with a squeeze of lemon. Not in season? Enjoy Roland asparagus spears or Green Giant whole spear asparagus.
- Green tea: Rich with antioxidants, green tea also has been shown to boost your metabolism. Sip with meals or enjoy with a snack. Warning: All green teas are not created equal. After sampling a variety, I recommend Stash Premium Green Tea and Yogi Green Tea Blueberry Slim for Life as the best.
- Artichokes: Purify your liver and benefit from fiber with artichokes. Try adding four artichoke hearts to your salads to savor their taste, such as Reese Extra-Small Artichoke Hearts (four contain only 50 calories).
- Garlic: Glory be to garlic - and we're not talking vampire protection here! Garlic has been shown to have benefits ranging from protecting against disease to reducing your blood pressure. The flavorful "stinking rose" also can help you enjoy veggies without adding calories. Avoid "stinking fingers syndrome" by buying already-minced garlic, such as organic Frontier Minced Garlic.
- Water: Studies show that we often think we're hungry when we're actually thirsty. Avoid drinking your calories while detoxifying your body with water. Get bored by plain water? Try Hint Premium Essence water, which has 0 calories and is flavored only with the essence of water.