Babywearing Benefits: There are plenty of reasons why I love babywearing. I briefly highlighted a few of these benefits and will expound/add to them here.
1. Happier Babies! Infants who are carried cry, on average, 43% less than those who are not, according to a study published in the journal of Pediatrics.
2. Beneficial for Bonding. As a caregiver, this is one of the most important thing to me. Babywearing allows for the opportunity for mom, dad, grandparent and others in baby's life to create bonds and allows baby to feel safe and secure with the wearer. Wearing children has helped me become better in tune with their cues and needs.
3. Good for infants' physical development. Did you know babywearing counts as tummy-time for infants? Tummy time is important for baby's physical and motor development and by wearing your little one in a sling they are able to work out and strengthen their head, neck and back muscles. Being worn also helps develop good coordination and balance.
4. Hands free carrying. There are times during the day when little ones need to be close and held, but there are things that need to get done. The ability to babywear keeps baby close and safe when they need to be held, but keeps you hands free to get things done. It would not have been possible for me to care for 2 infants without babywearing.
5. Social development. When children are carried, they get a better view of the world around them. By being up close to adults, children are able to hear conversation and take in their environment without becoming overstimulated.