As a project this winter, we will be following Laura J - a local 23-year old from Granby MA - on her journey toward a healthier lifestyle. We will track her eating, sleeping, and work-out habits in order to figure out the best regimen to fit her goals.
To start things off, Laura J first came up with a Fitness Resolution. She set a goal and then came up with a method by which she plans on attaining that goal. It is nothing unrealistic – just a few changes in her normal habits to make her feel healthier.
1. Resolution - Come up with a fitness/health goal you would like to reach and give yourself a time frame to reach that goal. (For example, you want to lose so many pounds in so many days, or you want to have more energy and sleep better at night, etc.)
• My resolution is to work out at least 4-5 days a week. To help me feel healthier and loose at least 20 pounds by the summer.
2. Method - Think up a routine that will help you reach your goal. This could be a specific diet program, fitness plan, local trainer/gym, or some combination. (For example, go to the gym 3 times a week for however long, or sleep in on weekend mornings when you can, etc).
• My method is to work out 60 min to 90 min every time I go the gym (which would be at least 4-5 days a week). I would like to try and burn at least 600 calories each time, as well as eat healthier and not past 9 o’clock.
3. Basic information - We'll need to monitor a few things in order to find some results; weight, body fat %, hours of sleep, eating habits, alcohol in-take along with other data to track progress.
• Weight – 145 lbs; Hours of sleep vary, but I usually try to get around 6-8 hours per night; I usually drink 1 - 2 days a week.
4. Progress (or lack of) - We will note any improvements made in fitness, weight loss, energy, performance, health, etc. Make certain adjustments as you progress, and see if we can figure out the right work-out regimen for you.
• I joined the gym the first week of January and have been going about 3 days a week. I would like to bring that up to 4 days though, and I have already lost about 5 pounds.
For the next few months, we will track Laura’s progress and figure out the best way for her to reach her goals. Use her story as inspiration to come up with your own Fitness Resolutions.
Make sure to set realistic goals and keep at it because results won’t happen overnight. It might take a lot of effort to get where you want to be health-wise, but just remember - the more input, the greater the end result.