Nintendo of America have announced that Mario Kart 8 will receive new downloadable content and a patch that introduces new game features later this month. According to a press release shared on Aug. 6, a game update for Mario Kart 8 will be released on Aug. 27 for Wii U that will deliver several new features for players, including Mercedes-Benz DLC and the chance to participate in a worldwide Mercedes Cup online tournament.
On Wednesday, Aug 27, Nintendo along with Mercedes-Benz will offer Mario Kart 8 players the opportunity to download three free Mercedes-Benz cars that players can then race with. This Mario Kart 8 DLC will include the modern Mercedes-Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s and the legendary Silver Arrow from the 1930s. Players will be able to customize each Mercedes-Benz model with the various wheel and glider combinations found in the game. However, the GLA model will feature its own special wheel options. Find a video of the newly dated Mario Kart 8 DLC here.
In addition to this exciting announcement, Nintendo has also announced that between Aug. 27 and Sept. 23 a worldwide Mercedes Cup online tournament will be held. All you need to enter is a Wii U console, a copy of Mario Kart 8, a broadband internet connection, and the Mercedes-Benz DLC. Players will be able to access the Mercedes Cup from the online tournament section.
To accompany the tournament and downloadable content, Mario Kart 8 will also receive its first major patch and game update. The newly announced and detailed patch will introduce a number of new features designed to better the racing experience for all players. The update will include: displaying the course map on the TV screen during races, most recent kart options will be saved, improved online stability, and much more. Find the complete list of updates below:
- Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”.
- The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down.
- Users will be able to change options of other players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
- A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
- Improved the stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles.
Mario Kart 8 was released in May for Nintendo Wii U. You can find our full review of the title here.