This weekend, your LA Gadgets Examiner was given a chance to play with the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet and even though I worked with it for 30 minutes, it's safe to say the Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet is a definite winner for Microsoft. Here are some of my initial impressions:
- Why didn't Microsoft release this at the same time as the underperforming Windows Surface RT tablet? It would have saved them a lot of bad PR.
- This is definitely Microsoft's answer to the MacBook Air -- and it's a great answer.
- The device is slightly heavy in one hand, but it feels sturdy.
- It is a little thicker and slightly larger than the Microsoft Surface RT.
- The 1080p screen is absolutely gorgeous!
- This isn't just a tablet; it's a real computer.
- The Surface Pro makes an excellent note taking machine. Writing notes on it is even smoother than it is on my Galaxy Note 2.
- The pen on the Surface Pro is pressure sensitive.
- Ah...watching an episode of "Homeland" on this is pure heaven. Great speakers.
- Digital photographers will love this.
- Using Photoshop on this with the stylus makes me feel like a real artist!
- The device gets slightly hot, but not much more than the iPad.
- 4GB of RAM is so 2009. Come on Microsoft!
- The battery is down to 84 percent after a half hour of heavy use. This isn't too bad, but not great either.
- Gamers will love this.
- I still am not a big fan of the Touch Cover keyboard.
- The device runs on a lot of power but doesn't make a lot of noise
Microsoft tells me that the device will be available within "weeks." Is that two weeks? Is that ten weeks? Whatever the case, we can't wait to spend more time with a full review unit.
Let's hope Microsoft markets the Windows Surface Pro well. It really is a game-changing device and it has the potential to be a big hit. It is expensive when compared to other tablets, but it is not just a tablet; it is a full PC computer.