Your LA Gadgets Examiner just got his review unit of the iPhone 5S. I have only played with it for an hour and really wanted to hate it. But I don't. Here are some of my initial impressions:
- It looks exactly like the iPhone 5S, but is very different.
- iOS7 is sort of confusing at first, but it takes only about ten minutes to get the hang of it.
- This thing is fast. It is noticeably faster than the iPhone 5.
- A 4-inch screen is small, but it feels good to carry a lighter device around with me.
- Battery life only seems to have improved slightly. I have to do more tests.
- I wish I was into video games. The iPhone 5S is the perfect mobile gaming device.
- The fingerprint reader isn't a gimmick. It took a little time to set up, but it works perfectly -- even with a greasy finger.
- Why can't Apple do the stereo speaker thing like HTC does?
- The camera takes good pictures, even when in movement.
The iPhone 5S arrives on all four carriers tomorrow morning. Some stores are opening early at 8 am. I hear that the launch of the iPhone 5S will be very similar to the launch of the iPad 2 -- in other words, if you don't get it by tomorrow afternoon, you may not get it for a couple of weeks.
I will have my full review of the iPhone 5S this weekend. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a review unit of the iPhone 5C. But the iPhone 5S really makes any other iPhone (and many Android phones) obsolete.