Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Firefighters save dog from sinkhole: Animal plummets down 10-foot hole

Firefighters save dog from sinkhole that nearly swallowed it up in Buffalo, N.Y., USA today reports Feb. 3. A German shepherd fell more than 10 feet to the bottom of a gaping hole that widened suddenly on Sunday. The occurrence happened in the morning when his owner, Mattie Moore, was out taking him for a walk.

The three-year-old canine was lucky to be rescued after plummeting down into the watery hole at Buffalo park. Mattie almost fell into the hole herself, according to the report. Firefighters were able to save the dog from the sinkhole after they place plywood around the two-foot surface to secure the ground. They then widened the sinkhole in order to save the dog. Buffalo firefighter Michael Paveljack was able to then climb down a ladder and "fashioned a makeshift harness from the dog's leash that allowed rescuers to hoist it from the hole," the report said.

The dog firefighters were able to save is said to have soreness in the hip, but is otherwise uninjured.

It is believed that the hole was the result of a busted underground water pipe that eroded in the soil.

It is a good thing that local firefighters were able to save a dog from the sinkhole. Sudden incidents in nature can have devastating consequences. In this case, the dog was extremely lucky.

Report this ad