On a cold Friday night on January 3, 2014, the Port Jefferson Fire Department was alerted of a residential house fire at 112 Jones St. off Main St. The caller stated there was active fire and smoke out of the windows. Upon arrival of Port Jefferson 2nd Assistant Chief Charlie Russo, a presence of heavy smoke was pushing through the front windows of the residence. Upon arrival of the 1st due engine from Port Jefferson Fire Department they were ordered to hit the hydrant on Jones St. The 1st due Port Jefferson Fire Department engine had trouble making it up the hill on Jones St. Port Jefferson Engine Co. 5 stretched one line to the front door and accessed a water supply from a nearby hydrant. 1st Assistant Chief Dave Williams arrived on scene and assumed a command post in front of the residence. Due to the fire load and heavy smoke he requested mutual aid for 1 engine to the scene from Terryville Fire Department and a Rapid Intervention Team from Setauket Fire Department. Subsequently a Working Fire was also re activated for the Port Jefferson Fire Department. As crews entered the building the encountered active fire behind the fireplace, which had extended to the basement staircase. . Due to the nature of the fire, Port Jefferson Fire Department command requested a response from the Port Jefferson Village Fire Marshal to the scene. The main fire was knockdown within 25 minutes of arriving on scene and was successfully extinguished without incident.
January 4, 2014