Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Fire home safety tips for coming cold weather from Volusia Fire Services

Volusia County Fire Services units in file photo.
Volusia County Fire Services units in file photo.
Mike Royer.

The Volusia County Fire Services warned residents Saturday of the increased risk of home fires with the record cold temperatures forecast for early next week. In a press release, Interim Volusia County Fire Services Chief Jeff Smith said, “As temperatures drop, the risk of house fires increases. Many people will be lighting their fireplaces for the first time and bringing out space and kerosene heaters.”

Space heater safety

Smith said to be sure to keep space heaters away from flammable items: “If you’re using a space heater, make sure it’s several inches away from the wall and nowhere near combustible items such as curtains, chairs, beds and towels. Check the space heater regularly to make sure the cord isn’t frayed and the radiant elements aren’t missing or broken.”

  • Space heaters need space. Keep all things that burn – such as drapes, bedding and furniture – at least 3 feet from heater.
  • Make sure the space heater has an emergency shut-off in case it’s tipped over.
  • Plug electric space heaters into an outlet with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord.
  • Use the proper grade of fuel for a liquid-fuel space heater, and never use gasoline in a heater not approved for gasoline use. Refuel only in a well-ventilated area and when the equipment is cool.
  • Turn off space heaters whenever the room is unoccupied.
  • Because space heaters are easy to knock over in the dark, turn them off when going to bed. However, make sure your primary heating equipment for bedrooms is sufficient to avoid risks from severe cold.

The Volusia County Fire Services and the National Fire Protection Association also offer the following tips to prevent home-heating fires.

Fireplace and chimney safety

  • Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary.
  • Open the flue and damper before starting a fire.
  • Use only paper or kindling wood, not a flammable liquid, to start the fire.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
  • Allow fireplace and wood-stove ashes to cool and then place them in a metal container, which should be kept away from the house.

In a fireplace or wood stove, use only dry seasoned wood to avoid the buildup of creosote, an oily deposit that catches fire easily

  • If you’re burning a fire all day, make sure it gets very hot at least twice a day to remove creosote and ash from the chimney.
  • Don’t use artificial logs in wood stoves.

General home-heating tips

  • Don’t use an oven or grill to heat a home.
  • To prevent deadly carbon monoxide build-up, make sure fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside, the venting is clear and unobstructed, and the exit point is sealed around the vent.
  • Inspect heating equipment annually and clean it as necessary.
  • Install smoke alarms outside each sleeping area.

Interim Chief Smith added, “Clean out your gutters and remove dead vegetation and flammable bushes that are within 30 feet of your home. Your plants should be healthy and green, and the lawn should be well irrigated.”

Smith also suggests that homeowners replace mulch, which is highly flammable, with gravel or rock. Trees should be thinned out so there is 10 to 15 feet between the tree crowns, and limbs should be pruned to a height of six to 10 feet.

For more information about fire prevention, click here to visit the Volusia County Fire Services website.

Report this ad