A Plattsburgh KFC damaged by fire several days ago may re-open as soon as Tuesday.
Franchise owner Ray Aley told local media he had all of the restaurant's food supplies moved to off-site storage to prevent spoliage, so he will have stock to open quickly once repairs are completed.
The Wednesday fire apparently was started by a discarded cigarette, according to fire officials, causing the building to be evacuated of customers and staff.
When firefighters arrived, they at first thought they were facing merely a mulch fire, but closer inspection showed flames extending behind the siding extended from the base of the wall to the roof line. Several cigarette butts were found on the ground outside a door.
The KFC is located at 333 Cornelia Street (Route 3).