An adult and four children were displaced from an apartment in the Creekside Apartments complex at 525250 SW 4th Street in Scappoose on April 8.
At 4:19 p.m., personnel with the Scappoose Fire District responded to the location and found a second story apartment filled with smoke and fire. The occupant and four children left the apartment before firefighters arrived. One child was transported to a Portland hospital for treatment of burns.
Officials believe that the fire may have been caused by a child who was playing with a lighter.
While the apartment complex is insured, the occupant is not, according to Cheryl Engstrom, public information officer for the Scappoose Fire District.
The American Red Cross responded and provided assistance with lodging, food, clothing and seasonal garments, comfort kits and information about disaster counseling and health services.