Sunglasses are the perfect accessory; they both protect and and make a fabulous fashion statement. There are a pair for every look, and with a simple change of frame, an ensemble can go from vintage to rocker with very little effort.
The biggest challenge in the hunt for sunglasses is finding the type of frame to suit your face. Grab a few pictures of yourself or look in the mirror and figure out what shape you face is and get shopping!
Square: a broad forehead, wide cheekbones, and strong jawline (similar to Kate Moss, Paris Hilton)
If you have a square face, the goal is to soften the angles. The most flattering frames are cat-eye, round or curved frames that draw attention away from a strong jaw.
- Chloé Oversized Round Sunglasses - $250 at Nordstrom's
- Jessica Simpson Aviator Sunglasses - $55 at Macy's
- F3794 Cat-eye Sunglasses - $5.80 at Forever 21
Round: narrow forehead, wide cheekbones, and a soft jawline (think Kate Bosworth, Mischa Barton)
Opposite of the square face, a round face requires angular sunglasses to balance out the roundness. Look for wide fames with square or rectangular shapes to lengthen the face.
- David Yurman Cable Classic Oversized Sunglasses - $395 at InVision Optical
- Jodi sunglasses - $78 at Banana Republic
- Timbers - $12 at Aldo
Oval: a long face, with a high forehead (like Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Beckinsale)
Consider yourself very lucky! With this face shape, virtually ever shilouette looks good; try aviators, wraparounds, or rounded-square frames.
- Diane von Furstenberg Oversized Square Sunglasses - $125 at Nordstrom's
- A/X Armani Exchange Rimless Shield Sunglasses - $65 at Macy's
- Rainbow Sherbert Aviator - $10 at Urban Outfitters
Heart: a wide forehead and narrow jaw (look-alikes Reese Witherspoon, Victoria Beckham)
A heart shaped face is wider at the top than at the bottom, so look for sunglasses that mimic this shape. You want frames that are wide on top and more narrow towards the bottom to keep your face symmetrical, like aviators or cat-eye frames.
- Marc Jacobs Aviator Sunglasses - $295 at Solstice
- Ray-Ban Oversized "Cat Eye" Plastic Sunglasses - $129 at Bloomingdale's
- Color Aviator Sunglasses - $7.50 – at Wet Seal
If you are still unsure of the right frame to pick stop by InVision Optical in the Galleria on Friday, January 22 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. for their Face à Face event. Get fitted for a fabulous pair of sunglasses, and enjoy live music, appetizers and refreshments from CRAVE.
No matter the shape or your face, or your budget, be sure to select a pair with UV Protection to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays and unsightly wrinkles. Happy hunting!