Are you one of those people who dusts off the same old resolutions each year, dutifully writing them down and promising that THIS year will be different? Don't worry; you're not alone! Read these few thoughts and maybe this year really CAN be different.
- The top reason most resolutions fail is because we try to do them by ourselves.
- The 2nd big reason for failure is setting unrealistic goals.
- The 3rd reason for failure is not linking behavior to future goals.
So, what does this mean for those of you setting New Year's Resolutions that have something to do with your finances?
- Work with a professional. It's like hiring a personal trainer at the gym.
- Select a professional who does NOT work for a company that provides financial products like investments, annuities, insurance policies, etc.
- Select an independent professional who can offer truly unbiased advice.
- Run a BrokerCheck report on any professional you are considering.
- Select a professional who does more than investment management. Remember that investments, while important, are only one slice of a well-designed financial pie.
- Select a professional who is transparent about fees. Many in my industry try and hide the way they get compensated. (I wish that weren't true, but it is--so be careful!)
As always, reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-933-6533 x2604 if I can ever be of assistance in helping you achieve financial independence.