Tax season is here! For those of you who are fairly new at this, here is a list of important documents you need to have handy:
· Documents to show any income from the previous year, such as a W2 form (from employer) or 1099-MISC form (if you are self-employed). You can always search for the form you need or for instructions on how to fill it out here.
· Your social security card (unless you have the number memorized). You will also be asked for your child’s social security number.
· A voided check to provide your bank’s routing and account number if you want your refund deposited to you.
· A list of School expenses, scholarships, loans and the name and address of your university. If you are an undergraduate student you can also benefit from providing book and room and board expenses. Note: Make sure to have records of these expenses.
· Medical bills, including but not limited to dental, labor and delivery, and surgery
· Other bills, such as mortgage bills and child care bills
· Teaching expenses (for teachers)
· Proof of charitable donations. Keep in mind that church donations can fall under this category.
There you have it! This is a very basic list that will save you time and money. Comment below for any other suggestions and advice based on your experience.
Never miss another parenting story. Subscribe to Krysta Belliston, Miami Parenting Examiner and you will be notified every time something new is published.