With the temperature dropping to record lows, now’s the time to look for creative ways to fight off the chill – and those winter blues. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or "winter depression" is recognized as a common disorder where some people experience serious mood changes with the season. Spa Castle could be "just what the doctor ordered."
Spa Castle is a five-story, 60,000-square-foot complex of pools, saunas, Jacuzzis, massage rooms and restaurants in College Point, Queens. Once referred to by the New York Times as “A funhouse floating in a Korean spa,” Spa Castle bills itself as both a “spa and water park,” and is the perfect escape from the cold New York winter.
Not your typical spa
Forget what you know about spas, this is a unique east-meets-west form of recreational relaxation that is open 365 days a year, from 6:00 a.m. to midnight. More like a vacation getaway, Spa Castle is family-friendly, affordable and leaves visitors feeling as if they've just returned from a mid-winter’s vacation – minus airfare and long lines at security.
Spa Castle amenities
Visitors to Spa Castle are given unlimited use of all of the facilities, including:
- Seven different hot and cold sauna rooms, each encouraging a specific healing property through the use of minerals, color therapy, infrared light and temperature
- Heated, four-season outdoor spa pools, featuring specially designed aqua jets "that target pressure points throughout the body to increase circulation and digestion, soothe muscle aches, strengthen the immune system and even facilitate weight loss"
- A swim-up Aqua Bar where guests can enjoy water jet therapy while sipping “mocktails." For those looking to unwind with an adult beverage, the Tonic lounge area serves beer, wine and food
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms with European-style cold and heated baths, dry and wet sauna rooms, and relaxation areas
- All necessary toiletries and towels, and even a Spa Castle uniform to wear during your stay
- Numerous lounge and resting areas scattered throughout the Spa, allowing for quick naps between services or a place to congregate with friends and family
- Electronic watch “keys” that function to open personal lockers, pay for services and generally eliminate that feeling of “where’s my stuff?” that is anything but relaxing
For an additional fee, guests can utilize the Spa Castle fitness center, purchase food and drink, or take advantage of special services including reflexology, body scrubs, massages, facials, manicures, and a plethora of other body treatments.
The New York Spa Castle is located at 131-10 11th Ave College Point, NY 11356,
(718) 939-6300. A Manhattan location will be opening in 2014.
Tickets are available online in advance or can be purchased in person at the facility.