Wikimedia Commons (2006)
The weather... well, it is HOT. In lieu of that fact, there are quite a few indoor festivals at which families, and singles, can be entertained before school starts. So, here are the festivals taking place this Tuesday, and continuing through the week thereafter:
- Regal Free Family Film Festival, Select Metro Atlanta Regal Theaters. Tuesday - Wednesday, sometimes Thursday, 10:00 am. The Family Film Festival commences for only 2 more weeks of free family flicks. The pictures this week are: Kit Kittridge: American Girl and Hotel for Dogs. The final two movies are Arctic Tale and Monsters vs Aliens, showing August 3rd and 4th. For more information, select the (title) link.
- Essential Theatre Festival, Actor's Express. Daily, times vary. The complete schedule of performances is available at EssentialTheatre.tix.com; be sure to check whether Darker Face of the Earth, Qualities of Starlight, or Sally & Glen at the Palace are being performed on the particular night that you prefer to attend. Tickets are $16.00 - $22.00 and are available for purchase online with a $2.00 discount. Actor's Express is located at 887 W Marietta Street NW in Atlanta.
- Southeast Kickball Fest, Georgia Tech Rec Fields and Piedmont Park. Friday - Sunday, various times. It may well be too late to play in the Kickball Fest tournaments, but one can watch! Head to Georgia Tech Recreation Fields and Piedmont Park (Saturday and Sunday) to see the tournaments. According to the schedule, games are scheduled from 8:00 am - 10:00 pm Saturday, with championship games scheduled Sunday, from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. Visit SoutheastKickballFest.com for more information.
- Coca Cola Film Festival, Fox Theatre. Varied dates and times. The Coca-Cola and Fox Theatre collaboration continues with Caddyshack, Friday, July 30th at 7:00 pm. Saturday's movies are How to Train Your Dragon at 2:00 pm and Iron Man 2, at 7:30 pm. Sunday, August 1st, see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid at 2:00 pm. Remember to arrive early for the Mighty Moe pre-show and that adults can purchase tickets to the Trader Joe's wine tastings, which are available for the Friday and Saturday 7:00 and 7:30 pm shows only. General admission tickets are $8.00.
- ONE MusicFest, King Plow Arts Center. Saturday, 2:00 pm. See Common, de la Soul, and other artists and performers at the ONE Music Festival. The festival appears to be gaining steam, with Tweets via Twitter by a number of performers and excited festival-goers spreading the word and their excitement. (Search keyword / hashtag #onemusicfest on Twitter.) General admission tickets to the Music Festival are $40.00 and available at Xorbia.com. For more information, visit ONEMusicFest.com.
- Asian Cultural Experience, Gwinnett Center. July 31st - August 1st, 11:00 am - 8:00 and 7:00 pm, respectively. Learn more about Asian Culture next weekend, through traditional dance, seminars, food and more. Cultures represented include those from Taiwan, Japan, India, China, and Malaysia. Tickets are $12.00 for adults, $8.00 for students, and FREE for children 7-years and younger. The Gwinnett Center is located off Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth.
Enjoy your week(end)!