Wikimedia Commons (2006)
It's hot as ever, but school is starting in counties all across the state; if school shopping has been completed, partake in one of these festivals to conclude the summer:
- Atlanta ShortsFest, Plaza Theatre and Highland Inn Ballroom Lounge. Friday - Sunday, varied times. The ShortsFest is the first of many festivals in celebration of Independent Film Month, declared by the Festival League. The ShortsFest is a weekend of Short films shown throughout the weekend at the aformentioned venues: the Plaza Theatre and the Highland Inn Ballroom Lounge. The complete festival itinerary is available at IndependentFilmMonth.com at the link for ShortsFest, along with film showtimes and synopses. The All Access Pass is available online for $35.00 at FestivalLeague.com/tickets. Tickets to the individual shows are available 30-minutes prior to the screening at the venue's Box Office for $5.00 - $8.00. More information about Independent Film Month is forthcoming. The Historic Plaza Theatre is located at 1049 Ponce de Leon Avenue in Atlanta. The Highland Inn Ballroom Lounge is located at 644 N Highland Avenue NE, also in Atlanta. (Kid-friendliness is not known about this festival, at this time. Please review film content and material prior to taking children to this festival.)
- Essential Theatre Festival, Actor's Express. Through Sunday, various times. The Essential Theatre Festival ends this weekend, with 4 plays between now and Sunday evening. See Qualities of Starlight tonight, Darker Face of the Earth Saturday, and Sally & Glen at the Palace Sunday. For tickets, play information, and times, visit EssentialTheatre.tix.com. The Actor's Express is located at 887 W Marietta NW in Atlanta. (Please remember that these plays are not particularly kid friendly. Mom and dad will need a sitter if attending this event.)
- Smyrna Birthday Festival, Atkins Park / Smyrna Market Village. Saturday, 2:00 - 11:00 pm. Celebrate Smyrna's birthday with cake, festival foods, carnival rides, live music, entertainment for the kids, and fireworks. McEntyre's Bakery will provide the "HUGE cake," Sweetwater Brewery will provide adult beverages, and barbecue will be provided by Atkins Park Tavern. The Village Green is located at 200 Village Green Circle in Smyrna. Check the Smyrna Birthday Festival public-event on Facebook for more information. The city of Smyrna is anticipating you'll either, "Go whole hog or go home."
- Attack of the Killer Tomato Festival, JCT Kitchen. Sunday, 1:00 - 5:00 pm. Unfortunately, the $65.00 festival tickets are sold out, but should a friend have an extra ticket, take it! The Killer Tomato Festival is a benefit for Georgia Organics, which features the collaboration of tomato growers and the best chefs and mixologists in the southeast through tomato-inspired dishes and drinks. In addition to tomato dishes and drinks, enjoy live music, chef demos and more. For more information, visit GeorgiaOrganics.org.
- Coca-Cola Film Festival, Fox Theatre. Tuesday and Wednesday, 7:30 pm. The Coca-Cola Film Festival continues this week with the screenings of The General and Singin in the Rain on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. Tickets are available for $8.00 per General Admission ticket at Ticketmaster.com or at the Fox Theatre Box Office. More information is available at FoxTheatre.org, along with the films showing at the festival through August 15th.
Enjoy your weekend, as well as the coming first days of the new school-year!
For more info: Select any of the links above. Next week's Festival Guide will be posted soon, along with Festival Peachtree Latino and the AJC Decatur Book Festival information at the Atlanta Festivals Examiner Homepage at Examiner.com.