Skip to main content

See also:

Ferguson cop who shot Michael Brown had serious facial injuries

Ferguson protests continue on Jan. 20, 2014 - 11 days after the killing of Michael Brown.
Ferguson protests continue on Jan. 20, 2014 - 11 days after the killing of Michael Brown.
Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Darren Wilson, the Ferguson police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown – the unarmed teenager – over a week ago, had a serious facial injury from the altercation he had with Brown prior to shooting the shot that killed the 18-year-old. According to ABC News on Wednesday, this information has been made public on the very day that a grand jury has been expected to begin hearing evidence about the shooting in suburban St. Louis. Protesters in Ferguson have been calling for the police officer to be arrested and indicted since the incident occurred on Aug. 9.

David McCullough, a St. Louis County prosecutor, asserted on Wednesday that a decision on whether Officer Wilson will be indicted or not will not be determined soon. As a matter of fact, McCullough told ABC News that a target date for such a determination may not be for two months. He said that their target date is the middle of October. It will apparently take until then for wrapping up the evidence and asking the jury to decide whether to charge the officer or not. It has been said that grand juries, quite commonly, meet just one day a week in cases.

The report that the police officer suffered a serious facial injury, during a struggle he had with Brown at his patrol car, came from a source that is close to Officer Wilson. Though the severe injury was not detailed by the source, it was described last week. Last week, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said that Wilson had swelling to the side of his face.

Regarding the protests – often of a violent nature – in Ferguson, protesters and local police reportedly faced off again last night. Even though water bottles were thrown, authorities believe that the civil unrest in the streets of Ferguson may have reached a turning point for the better. Ron Johnson, a captain with the Missouri Highway Patrol spoke at a news conference early in the day in which he thanked volunteers, clergy and community activists for assisting in quieting the protesters. Of the troubles experienced last night, 47 people were arrested. Some of the persons taken into custody had threatened to kill a police officer. However, unlike previous episodes, there were no shootings or Molotov cocktails from protesters and no smoke bombs or tear gas from the police officers. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder traveled to Ferguson on Wednesday morning to meet with FBI and other officials who are conducting an independent federal investigation into the death of Michael Brown, according to MSNBC. Holder said, “We can make it better,” while he spoke to a local mayor and diners at a Ferguson-area restaurant. During his time in Ferguson, Holder did not conduct a press conference.