Are you feeling overwhelmed and desperate? Depression could be to blame. When we are depressed we have a decrease in our energy. Small things feel like big things. You may even feel hopeless and helpless when you are feeling overwhelmed.
When overwhelmed our energy is down our ability to resolve problems decreases and our stress level increases. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that this is not a good combination. The unresolved problems pile up and we feel that we can no longer cope.
If feelings of desperation are present then individuals may feel hopeless, helpless, or even suicidal. When someone is feeling suicidal it is time to call the doctor or go to the nearest ER. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and needs to be taken seriously.
If you notice a person is spiraling out of control and is unable to cope then reach out to them. If you are the person that is feeling overwhelmed then call your friends, church, support groups, neighbors, family doctor or any other support you have available to you.
Tips to prevent feelings of being overwhelmed include:
1. Learn to say "no."
2. You do not have to make excuses for saying "no."
3. Do not over extend your self by taking on more than you can do
4. Break large tasks into small steps
5. Make a list of tasks and prioritize, putting the letter "A" by most important, "B" by next important and "C" by least important.
6. Take a minimum of 30 minutes each day to do something "healthy" that you enjoy.
7. Organize your work space and home. This will eleviate some stress immediately.
8. Delegate whenever appropriate. Micromanaging is sure to cause overwork for you.
9. Take care of yourself by getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night and eating healthy foods.
10. If you are in an unhealthy, toxic relationship at work or personally then talk to someone. Ask yourself is the stress and frustration worth my health and well being?
Depression lasting two weeks or more may be a clinical depression and you should see a doctor. Click here to find out how to deal with depression. Following the steps above will cut down on feelings of being overwhelmed.
- If you would like to be notified when I publish an article please go to the top of this page and click on subscribe. Your information will not be sold or shared. If you have a topic that you would like covered click on comments and request the topic or just post a comment.