The Sport Fishing and Boating Partnership Council has scheduled a public meeting for Monday, Oct. 28 and Tuesday, Oct. 29. The meeting will go on even if the government shutdown continues because the council is funded by an excise tax and not subject to congressional appropriations.
The meeting was announced on Friday, Oct. 4. You can get details at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-10-04/html/2013-24314.htm.
The meeting takes place at the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel, 621 St. Louis St., New Orleans 70140. The council meets Monday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and again on Tuesday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.
The public may attend, speak or file written statements. If you wish to do any of the above, you must notify the council by Oct. 18. The council has reserved half an hour for public comments. No one will get more than two minutes.
The federal advisory committee councils the Department of the Interior on enhancing recreational fishing and boating and its economic benefits.
The council will discuss:
- Louisiana and the Gulf Coast; including fishery management, boating and tourism
- The Boating Infrastructure Grant Program and Clean Vessel Act Grant Program
- The Rigs to Reefs Program and the Idle Iron' policy for decommissioning and removing unused oil and gas production infrastructure
- America's Great Outdoors Initiative
- An update from the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation on progress in implementing Council recommendations to improve foundation activities
- The Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program
- An update on the National Wildlife Refuge System Vision, in particular recommendation 17: Hunting, Fishing and Outdoor Recreation
Other matters may also come up.