If we find ourselves one month into the new year or even one month into our healthy lifestyle goals and struggling to make progress, February may be the best time to re-confirm our commitment. With the first month of the year behind us, we should have a good idea of what may be stopping us from moving forward, or in some cases getting started. It may be our busy schedule; goals that are too aggressive such as going from not exercising to trying to exercising 5 days a week; not having a specific goal, such as adding a fresh fruit as an afternoon snack 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday; having a vision or outcome in mind such as losing 20 pounds but not attaching an specific action goal such as, substituting fat free milk for 2% milk; or not having a unrealistic goal such as completing a triathlon for someone who has never even completing a 5K run previously or has a plan to prepare ... see video above!
The characteristics found in the individuals who succeeded in achieving their healthy lifestyle goals included:
- taking time to plan out specific goals
- ability to identify barriers getting in their way of making progress and creating a strategy to mitigate the barriers
- creating one goal at a time
- breaking goals into smaller manageable and progressive steps
- using journals to recorded their progress
- shared their goals with their family and friends
- rewarding themselves when they achieved a goal
- focused on the achievements and not minor setbacks by treating lapses as temporary and not beating themselves up over minor setbacks
This information is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical/nutritional/fitness advice. Information presented is subject to change as additional discoveries are made or additional research is published.
Sources:http://www.richardwiseman.com/research/psychologyluck.html; http://www.Dorthy.com, http://www.ndhealth.gov/heartstroke/image/cache/Healthy_Choices_Healthy_...http://www.ndhealth.gov/heartstroke/image/cache/Healthy_Choices_Healthy_Lifestyle_Habits_and_Goals.pdf