Love your heart and it will love you back.
is American Heart Month. Heart disease is called a silent killer because you don't feel if your blood pressure is high or your vessels are starting to build up with plaque and narrow. But you can decrease your risk of getting heart disease. Try these simple things:
- Increase your fiber
. If you add just 10 grams a day to your normal diet
you can decrease your total cholesterol.
- Eat some berries. Antioxidants, especially in blueberries can boost good cholesterol levels and help your blood pressure.
- Meditate. Sit down and clear your mind at least 10 minutes every day.
- Change your oil. Choose olive oil or canola oil to increase good omega-3 fatty acids and reduce saturated fat.
- Drop 10 pounds. Decrease the chances of getting diabetes.
- Listen to Popeye and eat your spinach
. These leafy greens pack more heart health
than almost any other food.
- Drink some red wine. Half a glass every day can reduce your chances of getting heart disease by 26%.
- Take a nap. 20 minutes per day will make your heart happier.