From HBO comes the Golden Globe and Emmy-winning medieval fantasy television series Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season created by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. It is based on George R. R. Martin’s novel A Clash of Kings, the second book of the best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series. The second season of Game of Thrones features returning cast members Emmy and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Aidan Gillen, Iain Glen, Kit Harington, Richard Madden, Maisie Williams, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Sophie Turner, Jack Gleeson, Alfie Allen, Rory McCann, Charles Dance, Jerome Flynn, Conleth Hill, John Bradley, James Cosmo, Sibel Kekilli, Donald Sumpter, Ron Donachie and Gethin Anthony. New cast members in the second season include Stephen Dillane, Gwendoline Christie, Carice van Houten, Liam Cunningham, Natalie Dormer and Rose Leslie.
In the second season, winter approaches and the coveted Iron Throne has been occupied by the cruel young Joffrey Baratheon with his conniving mother Cersei and his uncle Tyrion, now the Hand of the King, at his side. However the Lannister hold on the Throne comes under assault and Joffrey’s bastardy is revealed. While Stannis Baratheon aligns with a powerful priestess and lays public claim to the Throne, his brother Renly has maintained his own claim since fleeing King's Landing.
Meanwhile, Robb Stark seeks for the North’s independence and takes Cersei’s brother Jaime prisoner in battle. Daenerys Targaryen and her three newborn dragons are desperate for help as her people slowly die in the Red Waste. New perils await Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch as a new leader rises amongst the wildings north of the Wall. As tensions rise, new alliances and treaties are forged while betrayal turns allies into enemies -- all in the name of the Iron Throne.
DVD and Blu-ray special features include twelve audio commentaries, character profiles and three featurettes. In “Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay,” you get to see how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. In “Game of Thrones: Inner Circle,” actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting Season Two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. In “The Religions of Westeros,” hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
Exclusively on Blu-ray are hidden dragon eggs, an in-episode guide and two additional featurettes. In “War of the Five Kings,” track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats. In “Histories & Lore,” nineteen animated histories detail the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and feature, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
Game of Thrones: Season 3 premieres on HBO on Sunday, March 31, 2013.
- “The North Remembers” - As Robb Stark and his northern army continue the war against the Lannisters, Tyrion arrives in King’s Landing to counsel Joffrey and temper the young king’s excesses. On the island of Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon plots an invasion to claim his late brother’s throne, allying himself with the fiery Melisandre, a strange priestess of a stranger god. Across the sea, Daenerys, her three young dragons and khalasar trek through the Red Waste in search of allies, or water. In the North, Bran presides over a threadbare Winterfell, while beyond the Wall, Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch must shelter with a devious wildling.
- “The Night Lands” - In the wake of a bloody purge in the capital, Tyrion chastens Cersei for alienating the king’s subjects. On the road north, Arya shares a secret with Gendry, a Night’s Watch recruit. With supplies dwindling, one of Dany's scouts returns with news of their position. After nine years as a Stark ward, Theon Greyjoy reunites with his father Balon, who wants to restore the ancient Kingdom of the Iron Islands. Davos enlists Salladhor Saan, a pirate, to join forces with Stannis and Melisandre for a naval invasion of King’s Landing.
- “What is Dead May Never Die” - At the Red Keep, Tyrion plots three alliances through the promise of marriage. Catelyn arrives in the Stormlands to forge an alliance of her own. But King Renly, his new wife Margaery and her brother Loras Tyrell have other plans. At Winterfell, Luwin tries to decipher Bran’s dreams.
- “Garden of Bones” - Joffrey punishes Sansa for Robb’s victories, while Tyrion and Bronn scramble to temper the king’s cruelty. Catelyn entreats Stannis and Renly to forego their ambitions and unite against the Lannisters. Dany and her exhausted khalasar arrive at the gates of Qarth, a prosperous city with strong walls and rulers who greet her outside them. Tyrion coerces a queen’s man into being his eyes and ears. Arya and Gendry are taken to Harrenhal, where their lives rest in the hands of “The Mountain,” Gregor Clegane. Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove.
- “The Ghost of Harrenhal” - The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee and Littlefinger to act. At King’s Landing, Tyrion’s source alerts him to Joffrey’s flawed defense plan and a mysterious secret weapon. Theon sails to the Stony Shore to prove he’s worthy to be called Ironborn. In Harrenhal, Arya receives a promise from Jaqen H’ghar, one of three prisoners she saved from the Gold Cloaks. The Night’s Watch arrive at the Fist of the First Men, an ancient fortress where they hope to stem the advance of the wildling army.
- “The Old Gods and the New” - Arya has a surprise visitor; Dany vows to take what is hers; Joffrey meets his subjects; Qhorin gives Jon a chance to prove himself.
- “A Man Without Honor” - Jaime meets a distant relative; Dany receives an invitation to the House of the Undying; Theon leads a search party; Jon loses his way in the wilderness; Cersei counsels Sansa.
- “The Prince of Winterfell” - Theon holds down the fort; Arya calls in her debt with Jaqen; Robb is betrayed; Stannis and Davos approach their destination.
- “Blackwater” - A massive battle rages for control of King's Landing and the Iron Throne. Tyrion and the Lannisters fight for their lives as Stannis’ fleet assaults King’s Landing.
- “Valar Morghulis” - Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin.
- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
- Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
- Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
- Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister
- Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
- Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont
- Kit Harington as Jon Snow
- Richard Madden as Robb Stark
- Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
- Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark
- Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
- Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
- Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
- Rory McCann as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
- Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister
- Jerome Flynn as Bronn
- Conleth Hill as Varys
- John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
- James Cosmo as Commander Mormont
- Sibel Kekilli as Shae
- Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin
- Ron Donachie as Rodrik Cassel
- Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon
- Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon
- Gwendoline Christie as Brienne
- Carice van Houten as Melisandre
- Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth
- Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell
- Rose Leslie as Ygritte
DVD Special Features:
- Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay - See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30-minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.
- Game of Thrones: Inner Circle - Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting Season Two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- The Religions of Westeros - Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- Character Profiles - Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- Audio Commentaries - 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- War of the Five Kings - Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats.
- Histories & Lore - 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- In-Episode Guide - In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Hidden Dragon Eggs - Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
- HBO Select - Includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy.
Audio Commentary Participants:
- Episode 1 - “The North Remembers” with Commentary by Executive Producers/Writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
- Episode 2 "The Night Lands" with Commentary by Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) and Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy)
- Episode 3 "What is Dead May Never Die" with Commentary by Writer Bryan Cogman and Director Alik Sakharov Plus Commentary by Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark)
- Episode 4 "Garden of Bones" with Commentary by Carice Van Houten (Melisandre) and Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth)
- Episode 6 "The Old Gods and the New" with Commentary by Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Writer Vanessa Taylor
- Episode 7 "A Man Without Honor" with Commentary by Executive Producers/Writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
- Episode 8 with Commentary by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark)
- Episode 9 with Commentary by Co-Executive Producer/Author of A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin Plus Commentary by Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), and Director Neil Marshall
- Episode 10 with Commentary by Rainer Gombos and Steve Kullback of the Visual Effects Team Plus Commentary by Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and Co-Executive Producer Alan Taylor
Check out the slideshow to see what the exclusives look like.
- Barnes & Noble - Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season with Stark tote bag, available on DVD or Blu-ray Combo Pack.
- Best Buy - Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Blu-ray Combo Pack with choice of Lannister or Greyjoy packaging.
- Costco - Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Blu-ray Combo Pack with 72-page excerpt companion book from Bryan Cogman’s “Inside HBO’s Game of Thrones.” The book features interviews with key actors, house histories, family trees, and introductions from George R.R. Martin and the show’s creators.
- Target - Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Blu-ray Combo Pack with bonus Blu-ray disc featuring “Westeros at War,” an exclusive 20-minute interview with George R.R. Martin about Season 2, the writing of Episode 9, new characters and much more, plus four behind-the-scenes featurettes.
- Walmart -
o Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Blu-ray Combo Pack with bonus disc containing “Inside the Visual Effects” featurette.
o Pre-order Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Blu-ray Combo Pack and watch Episode One instantly on Vudu, plus access to behind-the-scenes footage and recaps of Seasons 1 and 2 on Vudu.
Release Date: June 3, 2013
- Big W - Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season Blu-ray with Baratheon packaging and bonus TV sampler.
Release Date: April 2013
- Warner Bros. - Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 and 2 Blu-ray Set with Thrones replica (1:10 scale).
- DVD - $24.99 at Amazon.com, Target, $29.99 at Best Buy, $39.96 at Walmart.com
- Blu-ray Combo Pack (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy) - $29.99 at Amazon.com, Target, $34.99 at Best Buy, $49.96 at Walmart.com
- Barnes & Noble exclusive DVD with Stark tote bag - $47.99
- Barnes & Noble exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with Stark tote bag - $63.99
- Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with Greyjoy packaging - $34.99
- Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with Lannister packaging - $34.99
- Target exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with bonus Blu-ray disc - $29.99
- Walmart exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with bonus disc - $49.96
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Blockbuster: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.